Friday, July 08, 2005

Kids say the darndest things

I've finally took the time to do the Links sidebar, as I was tired of losing the URLs to certain peoples blogs. It's always under construction, and if anyone wants to be added, just say so. Really.

"Kids say the darndest things," or so I've heard. You've watched that TV show, right? It's the one where Bill Cosby asks a bunch of kids these questions and they manage to come up with some of the funniest, oddest, and sometimes slightly inspirational answers. I hadn't had much experience with kids besides the occasional visit to my nephews and nieces, and they certainly hadn't said anything of the sort. And so I was convinced that those shows were staged, that children could by no means come up with those stuff by their own.

I couldn't have been more wrong. And I realised that the greatest things ever said could come from the mouth of even a nine year old.

I used to take Psychology last year, and it was one of the subjects I actually liked. I hadn't actually chosen to take the subject out of interest; I thought that it may fit well with two of my other subjects, Biology and Chemistry, as I planned to go into Science some time in the future. But, looking back, I'm glad I'd chosen to take Psychology, as the class was always interesting. Despite the teacher being somewhat of a loony, it was great. Perhaps it was because she was slightly odd that the students were always awake.

We used to do all these experiments, both in and out of class - of school, in fact. We did them alone, in twos, in threes, anywhere even remotely interesting (that doesn‘t sound wrong, does it?). But no one told me that the most rewarding, the most remarkable experiment would be not down by the main road watching if people sidestepped or walked right over that one large drain, but in a third grade class, full of nine year olds.

We were to analyse children’s drawings. I went down to the class not expecting much at all - after all, they were only nine year olds, and couldn’t be that interesting, right? So I set about with the experiment. Gave them sheets of paper to draw on, read the instructions, and waited till they were all done. I was bored while I waited for them to finish their drawings, and I think the teacher could tell, because she promptly asked the class a question: if you were stranded on an island and could bring only one person, who would you bring?

That got me thinking. I’d bring a friend, I thought, so I wouldn’t end up being so bored. The children answered. Lots of them said they’d bring their mother, a couple said they’d bring their friends, and I didn’t think anything of their answers until a boy said that he wouldn’t bring anyone. Sufficient to say, that surprised me - usually, kids wouldn’t like to be all alone.

The teacher asked him a couple of questions. Wouldn’t you be afraid? Don’t you want to bring your parents? How about a friend? And all the while, the boy shook his head, and muttered a short and simple “no,” as if he wouldn’t mind being all alone.

The teacher asked him why, and I was shocked - and definitely touched - by his answer. The boy, only nine years old and in the third grade, replied with words that extended even beyond my grasp. “Because I don’t want anybody’s family to worry,” he said. I wouldn’t even have thought about it that way, if it wasn’t for the boy. I felt bad. Selfish. Shocked that I was so selfish. And I felt this strange pride for the boy, even though I barely knew him.

Then I knew: kids do sometimes say the greatest things, and there’s no doubting that. I only wish I could’ve gone back and gave that kid a hug.

4 Comments:

Anonymous kyels said...

Kids are just awesome. I guess it's because of the innocence in their lil hearts. And they were not born to be meanies but to be Angels.

I guess from ur post I've learnt something new as well. Humans are selfish. No doubt. But we can improve ourselves, don't we?

Nice post. Keep it up.

Cheers.

Sat Jul 09, 12:26:00 AM  
Blogger Kugan@Funktionz said...

Kids say the darnest things was a really really good show :) Hey, heres a great tip to remove that google bar at the top of your blog which appears my default..go to ur edit templates page and find this tag. Note that () are actually <>

(body) and place this tags before and after the body tag like this

(noembed)
(body)
(/noembed)

* replace () with <>

and then republish your blog and voila!

Sat Jul 09, 12:38:00 AM  
Blogger KW said...

Looks like that kid is pretty mature for his age..

Sat Jul 09, 03:13:00 AM  
Blogger Delevia said...

Kyels: Hiya again. Heh, yeah, there's always room for improvement. That kid was so cute.

Kugan: Hello. Heh, thanks for that. I sorta like the black at the top, but when I get sick of it I'll be sure to remove it. Thanks :P

Away: Yeah, seems so.

Sun Jul 10, 12:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home