Saturday, July 02, 2005

Cry, Batman, cry.

Okay, so we went out yesterday and bought Batman Begins at one of those cheap stalls that sell pirated DVDs for like RM10 or so. Forget watching it in the cinema, who would want to go to a cinema to watch a movie when there's all these DVD's out? Hehe. Okay, so, the nearest cinema is at 1U and it's only five minutes or so away, but the constant jam outside the car park, accompanied with the seemingly endless line of people purchasing tickets, is a mood-killer.

So I grabbed a Pringles can and put in the DVD and was horrified when the volume was SO FUCKING LOW. As in, I couldn't hear anything at all. Oh well, the downside of not going to the cinema, I suppose. I was finally happy with the volume and was able to hear what they were saying only when the volume on the TV was turned up the loudest - I sat there, watching the movie at volume 50, afraid that at any time the volume might return to normal and I'd go deaf. Imagine being next to a kid sitting on a blown up balloon, and you can't cover your ears because you've got to listen to your friend talking. Or if your hands are full. Yeah, that's how I felt.

It was... alright. Besides me cursing the TV for not going any louder, it was alright. But, really, it's next to impossible to make a good, mindblowingly awesome Batman movie. There's a reason, and is not just coincidence, why all Batman movies haven't exactly been #1, Spiderman-style hits. It's because the DC Comics people (bless their confused hearts) went and created one extremely DULL character as the main dude. You can't just have such a flat character as the protagonist, even if he does go around in that awesome flying car.

Batman? His parents died. He was a kid. I understand if the point of the movie was to go kill the murderer, or if he needs to get rid of all the RED HOT GUILT in him... but, hey, he didn't seem to be too bothered by guilt, and the criminal died in, what, ten minutes of the movie? What real conflict was there? Batman is more of a soulless puppet than anything. Flatty. The only conflict you'll find in Batman: his parents died. He's a multi-millionaire, and despite having this huge-ass house, he prances about in moonlight, posing as this incredibly raspy-voiced vigilante. There is just no depth in Batman. And yet we watch the movie and see the creators plead and try to make the audience understand his Batpain as he valiantly struggles onward to... do... something.

There were some funny lines, though... and some lines that made me raise an eyebrow and go WTF. Like this one: "Your parents' death was not your fault. It was your father's." Double-eww tee eff indeed. Oh, yeah, as if his father hadn't gone through enough.

But. Like. Many funny lines. Lines. Not scenes. I ended up doubled-over and laughing so hard at his emo Batvoice, all crackly and raspy with anger and sorrow. I feel sorry for the actor, and sincerely hope he had a very, very large supply of Strepsils at home after every such scene.

Place spandex on Batman and I still say he won't be as good as Spiderman. Can't blame whoever it was who produced/directed/whatevered the movie, though - props to them for trying.

The good part? The TV volume remained the same throughout the movie and I didn't go deaf afterall.

Oh. And. Does it come in black?

Note thing: I don't hate Batman Begins. At all. Though it may seem that way, I don't. I sorta maybe-kinda-enjoyed it, actually. It was quite alright. I just couldn't pass up the chance for something like this.

Something offtopic: A few days ago, Thursday, actually, we experienced this ridiculous traffic-jam sort of thing in and leading up to the BP petrol station. It took us 30 minutes to get petrol and get out. THIRTY MINUTES. For petrol! My sister kept on cursing and I don't blame her. AGH. We found out the next day that it was because people heard that the oil prices were going up, or something... but thirty minutes is just ridiculous.

6 Comments:

Blogger torment said...

tsk. that's what you get for buying pirated stuff to GREAT movies. haha. karma. haha.

I understand if you don't get Batman. I don't want to sound condescending, but you've not lived long enough to accumulate enough guilt yet.

Do I sound condescending? I love Madagascar. More your type of movie, I think. NOW do I sound condescending? HAHAHAHA

Sun Jul 03, 01:03:00 AM  
Blogger Delevia said...

Ah, yeah. The movie must've great, even though the greatness of it was lost in the DVD version. Hehe, no, it was alright. I just think Spiderman was better, though I may be a tad bit biased because I watched Spiderman in the cinema.

That last part did sound condescending. Ahh.

Mon Jul 04, 12:12:00 AM  
Blogger Danny Boy said...

You paid rm10 for a low grade DVD?! I pity you. :) Move to Penang and you'll get it for rm6 if its downright poor. rm8 will get you a very decent copy... hehe... its oklah.
Btw, I loved the movie. Maybe I'm biased cos he is my fav superhero since the dinosaurs walked on earth :)

Tue Jul 05, 08:32:00 AM  
Blogger narrowband said...

Many corny lines.

But I like one gaya-line:
"It's not who you are underneath... It's what you do that defines you"... *music plays*

Fuiyo! cayalah!

Tue Jul 05, 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger torment said...

Woi why comment disabled on ur new post? I wanna add my 2 cents.

But no, if you don't want comments, I'll just say, that was a beautiful, thought-provoking matured post.

Tue Jul 05, 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Delevia said...

danny: Ahh, I dunno la. Penang is four hours away :P

narrow: Hehe, yeah. Liked that one too.

torment: Ai. Comments disabled? Really? Whoops, tersilap. It's fixed now, didn't mean to do that. Still new to blogger and all, heh. But, ah, thanks. Erm, I blame my sister.

Tue Jul 05, 01:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home